Dynamics 365 Integration with Microsoft Teams
Using Microsoft Flow for Dynamics 365 Integration with Microsoft Teams
At #365SaturdayDC on September, 21st – I participated in a Hackathon prior to the main event, Dynamics 365 Saturday on September, 22nd at Microsoft’s Washington, DC office (in Chevy Chase, Maryland). I was fortunate to be teamed-up with three excellent developers, who were able to quickly figure out how to accomplish our objectives of adding Opportunities and Cases to Microsoft Teams, when added to an associated Dynamics 365 (CRM) Account.
Our Teams Integration Team
- Andrew Butenko | Hitachi
- Daniel Kim | CarLotz
- Ian Smith | SyncraTec Solutions
- Karen Wallace | Incite Automation
Our initial objective a slightly vague, in that we were looking to accomplish Dynamics 365 integration with Microsoft Teams, particularly Opportunities and Customer Service Cases. We also tried integrating all “Activity Feeds” from CRM to Teams, but couldn’t quite get that to work. Being a big fan of Planner, I was determined to get Tasks from CRM to flow to a Planner tab within a particular Team Channel. And when I say flow, I mean via integration using Microsoft Flow. Also, Karen stepped-up and created a bot to create an Account record in CRM from a text command in Microsoft Teams.
So, as indicated, our demo flow goes like this:
- Bot command from Teams discussion area to create new account in CRM
- Microsoft Flow to create new Channel in Microsoft Teams when new Account created in CRM
- Add the Teams Channel ID to the associated account record in CRM
- Create an Opportunity in CRM and have that create a message in the respective channel for that account
- Create a Case in CRM and have that create a message in the respective channel for that account.
- Create a Note in CRM and have that create a message in the respective channel for that account.
- Create a Task in CRM and have that create a task in Planner — disclaimer: I cheated by hard-coding the Planner, but, hey, it’s just a demo.
Here’s a quick video recorded after-the-fact of our hackathon presentation.